Fall first thoughts 2012: NBC's Guys with Kids
Written by : goodbadgeeky published Friday 14th September 2012
The fall television season continues to chug along and are we a victim or are we the beneficiaries?
NBC premiered its new series last night titled Guys with Kids. The “Pilot” established the series as three 30-something dads struggle as parents because they are still children at heart. The 30-soemthing dads in question are the recently divorced/now single-dad Chris (Jesse Bradford), the father of four Gary (Anthony Anderson), and the oddly jovial Nick (Zach Cregger). And sometimes these dads go on adventures. But are the adventures worth going on as television viewers?
Bradford, Anderson and Cregger are all fine actors and try to really do the best they can with what they have, which admittedly isn’t much. The characters/actors that walk away with something as a viewer was Nick and his wife Emily (played by Jamie-Lynn Sigler of the Sopranos) and Gary and his wife Marny (Tempestt Bledsoe). Besides the interaction between Nick and Emily, and Nick and Gary, (minus the bit of Marny and Gary at the end of the episode) everything else about Guys with Kids was just beyond groan-worthy.
Sadly Guys wth Kids is not only groan-worthy, but most of it feels like a slap in the face to viewers. The only real sincerely funny moment of inspired comedy comes from Cregger and Anderson playing Nintendo Wii discussing what really transpired between Nick and his wife Emily; it was genuinely funny.
I interrupt my normal review process for one small note: Also depressing is the fact that they keep saying everywhere this is executive produced by Jimmy Fallon. Really, Fallon? While I prefer The Late Late Show over you, I still find your humor and show amusing and funny, but this makes me a sad panda. Please tell NBC to stop plastering your name all over it. It isn't a project I'd want my name to be associated with. Okay, now back to the review in process.
Overall, Guys with Kids is a waste of talent for Angerson, Bradford, and Cregger. And can I just say it is particularly wasteful for Anderson, Sigler and Cregger. Personally this examiner won’t waste any more time on this series, and suggests that you don’t waste your time either. Don't be a victim. Watch a better television show such as Go On and accept your place as a beneficiary of good television.
About the author goodbadgeeky
Nick ‘Nitro’ Arganbright has an extreme love for a good story, whether it be in film, tv, video games, comic books, music or more and it shows in each article and podcast he produced. The titular podcast he produces is called The Good The Bad & The Geeky with co-hosts Jon Bettin and Nathan ‘DJ Meat’ Haley. The podcast has helped him make a few contacts within in the industry which he hopes to use to entertain and inform readers of his reviews on Examiner.com and The TV King, offering an average joe opinion that is often overlooked in major print and online publications. If you’d like to e-mail him, please do so at [email protected] or you can tweet him on twitter at @goodbadgeeky.goodbadgeeky's profile | goodbadgeeky's RSS feed
- TV Review: ‘The Doctors Revisited – Ninth to Eleventh’
- GLEE Should Have Skipped Christmas
- MOB CITY a Dark, Intriguing Place
- Is KIRSTIE Still a Star?
- Be Careful Hanging Out With RICK AND MORTY
- TREME Stands Up and Declares "Yes We Can"
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 12 – Survivor Rocks
- THE GOOD, er, Awesome WIFE Hits 100 Episodes
- Death Strikes DOCTOR WHO At "The Tenth Planet"
- GLEE Needs Work to Master Puppets
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 11 – The season of blindsides continues
- We "Wanted" More NIKITA, and We Got It
- COVERT AFFAIRS Fools the World
- More DOCTOR WHO Fun With THE FIVE(ISH) DOCTORS REBOOT
- DOCTOR WHO Celebrates "The Day of the Doctor"
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Opens strong with 'Pilot' episode
- First Thoughts: FOX's Enlisted
- Burn Notice glances over an 'Exit Plan'
- Necessary Roughness gets rough in third new season
- Covert Affairs intrigues with fourth season opener 'Vamos'
- First thoughts: Suits third season opener is about loyalty
- Wilfred attempts to 'Comfort' us with all the 'Uncertainty'
- Game of Thrones chants "Mhysa" in the season three finale
- The Office tries 'Livin the Dream'
- The Office attempts to build 'Paper Airplanes'
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas
- When Series Break Genre
- Lack of Imports
- Redefining Cancellation