Suits is 'All In'
Written by : goodbadgeeky published Tuesday 31st July 2012
Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht) continues his dangerous free-fall in the latest episode of Suits titled “All In”.
The free fall continues in the form of Harvey and Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams) taking a case where the personal history between the client and Harvey forces Harvey and Mike to embrace unorthodox methods which might further jeopardize the firm. Meanwhile Louis Litt (Rick Hoffman) and Rachel Zane (Meghan Markle) run into each other during a ballet function and team up to save a mutually beloved institution for the ballet from ruin while Jessica Pearson (Gina Torres) runs into difficult problems while trying to protect the lawsuit against Harvey in the firm from becoming open files to the public.
While on the surface, the idea of Harvey and Mike dressing in a tux and gambling seems fun, but the real thrill for me was to really see Harvey sweat. While season one was more about Mike, season two is actually a bit more about Harvey.
Not to say Mike isn’t important, but the shift of focus is now on Specter, as it was his decision to hire Mike, he is the one being sued, it is technically his fault that Pearson and Hardman are quietly having an internal power struggle, etc. To see Harvey squirm even further is more enlightening as a viewer, as season one was about Mike sweating and Harvey being cool, this is more about the sides slowly shifting the balance of power.
And then there is the uneasy alliance that Louis Litt has with whoever in the show this week. In this case, it ended up being Rachel (wonderfully played by the adorable Miss Markle). Suits also in the first season really helped create a budding dislike or hatred as a viewer towards Louis, and if season two has been shifting balance from Mike to Specter, then season two of Suits has also been shifting power from making us dislike to actually feel bad and sympathize for Louis.
While Louis and Rachel’s story line in “All In” was more comical in nature, the fact it led to Mike finding out that Louis recorded his conversation with Harvey, which spurred Hardman’s wrath even further, and thus a confrontation between Harvey and Louis at the end of the episode. Again, while the scene played out with a bit of comical pathos, it was still intense, as I can understand why Louis did what he did.
Louis isn’t truly a bad guy, but at some point, getting passed over, lied to and manipulated has taken the same skills which he uses in court and apply them in his personal life around and out of the office. And I feel that Louis is somewhat justified. I cringed a bit when Mike lied to Louis a few episodes back, and again, I understand why Mike did that, he is truly aligned with Harvey, but Louis was reaching out in an honest and open moment. Mike could have been cloak and dagger but honest: yes, something is going on but I can’t tell you what it is due to my allegiance with Harvey. Instead Mike tries to be kind by lying all together, something that further spurs Louis’s anger. And the fact that the same recorded conversation Mike sticks up for Louis saying something very true which is Louis yearns to have what Harvey has, which is respect and a place at the table with mommy and daddy (Harvey, Hardman and Pearson aka as partner).
It could be stated as an example as a reason alone that Suits continues its almost near perfect second season with the episode “All In”. I keep walking away feeling surprised that the series hasn’t faltered yet. Plus the interesting build-up and further character develop is impressive and applaud-worthy.
Watch Episode 6 - All In online
About the author goodbadgeeky
Nick ‘Nitro’ Arganbright has an extreme love for a good story, whether it be in film, tv, video games, comic books, music or more and it shows in each article and podcast he produced. The titular podcast he produces is called The Good The Bad & The Geeky with co-hosts Jon Bettin and Nathan ‘DJ Meat’ Haley. The podcast has helped him make a few contacts within in the industry which he hopes to use to entertain and inform readers of his reviews on Examiner.com and The TV King, offering an average joe opinion that is often overlooked in major print and online publications. If you’d like to e-mail him, please do so at [email protected] or you can tweet him on twitter at @goodbadgeeky.goodbadgeeky's profile | goodbadgeeky's RSS feed
More reviews & recaps for Suits
- Is KIRSTIE Still a Star?
- Be Careful Hanging Out With RICK AND MORTY
- TREME Stands Up and Declares "Yes We Can"
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 12 – Survivor Rocks
- THE GOOD, er, Awesome WIFE Hits 100 Episodes
- Death Strikes DOCTOR WHO At "The Tenth Planet"
- GLEE Needs Work to Master Puppets
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 11 – The season of blindsides continues
- We "Wanted" More NIKITA, and We Got It
- COVERT AFFAIRS Fools the World
- More DOCTOR WHO Fun With THE FIVE(ISH) DOCTORS REBOOT
- DOCTOR WHO Celebrates "The Day of the Doctor"
- An Adventure in Space and Time
- GLEE is "Movin' Out" to the City
- FAMILY GUYS Brings to a Close the "Life of Brian"
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Opens strong with 'Pilot' episode
- First Thoughts: FOX's Enlisted
- Burn Notice glances over an 'Exit Plan'
- Necessary Roughness gets rough in third new season
- Covert Affairs intrigues with fourth season opener 'Vamos'
- First thoughts: Suits third season opener is about loyalty
- Wilfred attempts to 'Comfort' us with all the 'Uncertainty'
- Game of Thrones chants "Mhysa" in the season three finale
- The Office tries 'Livin the Dream'
- The Office attempts to build 'Paper Airplanes'
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas
- When Series Break Genre
- Lack of Imports
- Redefining Cancellation