'Fools Russian' So Wise Men Say on Royal Pains
Written by : goodbadgeeky published Monday 30th July 2012
The episode name was “Fools Russian” but we have also excepted some type of Star Trek reference, such as “Beam Me Up, Scotty”.
It was the Star Trek-nerdy episode of Royal Pains which picked up immediately where the last episode “About Face” ended; the helicopter lands in New York and Boris Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz (Campbell Scott) reveals his real reason for bringing Hank (Mark Feuerstein): a business deal must go down with an old Russian friend but the problem is that Boris fears his friend is very sick. As Hank fends off feelings for the interpreter Christina, meanwhile back in the Hampton’s, Evan (Paulo Costanzo) and Dr. Sacani (Ben Shenkman) treat Brady Wilkerson (Ryan Hansen). Brady is a rich man who is using his wealth to prepare to go back up into space but begins to get very sick. Meanwhile Divya (Reshma Shetty) deals with the shattered relationship with her coma-based father.
Besides the hilariously awesome Star Trek references, the episode “Fools Russian” is a good example of how Royal Pains does a great job of introducing new side characters and really breathing life into them. Besides Scrubs, I can’t really think of a show that on such a consecutive basis does such a great job of introducing a B-squad of characters that are so well-rounded that you want them to join the cast or keep showing up again and again. Ranging from Paige, Tucker Bryant (Ezra Miller), Ms. Newberg, Dr. Van Dyke and more. What I am trying to say is the continuing presence of Dr. Jeremiah Sacani played by Ben Shenkman continues to be a giant massive treat for me as a reviewer and as a fan of Royal Pains.
For a character who at first seems as comical relief, Shenkman continues to take what is on the page and add gravitas to a wonderfully written character. No longer is he just comical relief, but like Evan who was the comical foil to Hank, is really a fully fleshed out character with his own wants, needs, and demons. The rule of ‘know thyself’ is a great personal idea of mine, and to see characters in shows, like Shenkman, ‘know’ that he is challenged socially, but logistically is correct in his diagnosis, is something that adds a want as a viewer to root for Sacani even more as a permanent member of HankMed.
While I never once felt Evan was out of line, he was actually very un-Evan in terms of being kind to Sacani (he was trying to lessen the blow and choose his words carefully) we still saw Sacani’s perspective that Evan was doing the same thing that Sacani did to Brady Wilkerson with his diagnosis.
It is little things, little moments like this that make me love Royal Pains. Despite any faults (and there can be a few here and there) the show continues to give us wonderful characters and pique our interests with on-going plot threads such as HankMed and Hank’s role with Boris.
Speaking of Hank and Boris, it seems Hank’s new love interest Christina is coming back with Hank and Boris to Shadowpond to further assist in translating Boris’ friend Dmitry Vasilyev (Mark Ivanir). I hope we see Wilkerson again in the future, the idea of how Hank fits into Boris’ master plans seems all the more interesting as well and overall, I can’t wait to see where Royal Pains continues to takes us.
Watch Episode 7 - Fools Russian online
About the author goodbadgeeky
Nick ‘Nitro’ Arganbright has an extreme love for a good story, whether it be in film, tv, video games, comic books, music or more and it shows in each article and podcast he produced. The titular podcast he produces is called The Good The Bad & The Geeky with co-hosts Jon Bettin and Nathan ‘DJ Meat’ Haley. The podcast has helped him make a few contacts within in the industry which he hopes to use to entertain and inform readers of his reviews on Examiner.com and The TV King, offering an average joe opinion that is often overlooked in major print and online publications. If you’d like to e-mail him, please do so at [email protected] or you can tweet him on twitter at @goodbadgeeky.goodbadgeeky's profile | goodbadgeeky's RSS feed
- "Jeff" Supported By COMMUNITY
- HOUSE OF CARDS Season 2 Finale Review
- COUGAR TOWN "Stand" Strong
- The "New" GLEE
- GLEE Stumbles In "New Directions"
- HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Couldn't "Last Forever"
- "The Last Call" From Will on THE GOOD WIFE
- HELIX's Shadow Falls
- PSYCH's "Breakup" With Us
- BROOKLYN NINE-NINE "Charges" Into Season Finale
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 6: On the brink of a merge
- "Rides" May Be Bumpy for GIRLS
- THE GOOD WIFE Shocks With "Dramatics"
- HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Reaches "The End of the Aisle"
- No "Dungeons" for COMMUNITY
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Opens strong with 'Pilot' episode
- First Thoughts: FOX's Enlisted
- Burn Notice glances over an 'Exit Plan'
- Necessary Roughness gets rough in third new season
- Covert Affairs intrigues with fourth season opener 'Vamos'
- First thoughts: Suits third season opener is about loyalty
- Wilfred attempts to 'Comfort' us with all the 'Uncertainty'
- Game of Thrones chants "Mhysa" in the season three finale
- The Office tries 'Livin the Dream'
- The Office attempts to build 'Paper Airplanes'
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- Can Lightning Strike Twice for...
- Throne Beseiged By Pirates
- Why ‘Once Upon a Time’ Is ...
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas