Perception Shows Potential
Written by : EliseDianeTVFan published Tuesday 10th July 2012
**WARNING:This article is the personal opinion of the author. This article may also contain spoilers.**
As a reviewer, we make decisions after watching an episode or a movie the first time around. This is usually an easy thing to do since we can decide on the spot whether or not we like the show or movie we are reviewing. For me, I cannot make a decision about this series, but I can give you what I thought the good was and the bad of the pilot episode of Perception was.
Some of the good within the show include the strong leads within the series. Eric McCormack was great on Will & Grace and he was able to bring charm, some/little humor to his new character on this show. I had never heard of Rachael Leigh Cook until tonight, but, in my opinion, Cook makes a wonderful leading lady in this series. Both were strong leads now, but I am looking forward to seeing how much stronger they can become as the series wears on.
One of my favorite points of the whole pilot was watching McCormack’s character, Dr. Daniel Pierce, listen to various pieces of classical music while conducting an imaginary orchestra to the piece being played. For me, I think the main reason I enjoyed this was because of the emotion he put behind it. It made me feel like I was watching an actual orchestra maestro conduct a symphony before my very eyes.
Another thing I enjoyed about the pilot was how it opened up. The pilot opened up with McCormack’s character asking a classroom full of students “What is reality?”. This question ties into the series perfectly because of the fact you never know if he is in his own reality or the here and now reality in front of him. While sometimes it is obvious which reality he is in, other times viewers can see the two realities merge into one.
Now onto the only bad point of the pilot episode. I liked the pilot episode, but there was just so much which bothered me about it. This is the hardest part of this job, so let’s begin.
One of the main things the pilot did, which is an old TV trick, was make the viewers ask more questions than it answered. While I am not saying this is a bad thing, I think it can sometimes become an overused aspect of the show. Pilots are suppose to make the viewers ask questions, but after the viewers ask so many questions it can become old and tedious and a turn off.
Perception is an interesting series with great potential. My only question which remains is can this series potential replace The Closer, which it currently follows after it ends in five weeks after tonight. My answer for this question is only time will tell.
For more of my review, follow me on Twitter @elisesvoboda. If you are interested in seeing what I am watching, follow my profile on Get Glue.
About the author EliseDianeTVFan
Elise Diane is a senior Journalism major with a minor in theatre arts. She is about to start serving in her first editorial position at her university paper as the assistant news editor. Elise is a HUGE Wilfred, NCIS, NCIS:LA, Hawaii Five-0, CSI (Las Veges), The Mentalist, Smash, Once Upon a Time and Royal Pains fan. Elise enjoys a good story and a good TV show. She also likes to watch new TV shows. Whenever she is not watching TV, she enjoys hanging out with family and friends.EliseDianeTVFan's profile | EliseDianeTVFan's RSS feed
- TREME Stands Up and Declares "Yes We Can"
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 12 – Survivor Rocks
- THE GOOD, er, Awesome WIFE Hits 100 Episodes
- Death Strikes DOCTOR WHO At "The Tenth Planet"
- GLEE Needs Work to Master Puppets
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 11 – The season of blindsides continues
- We "Wanted" More NIKITA, and We Got It
- COVERT AFFAIRS Fools the World
- More DOCTOR WHO Fun With THE FIVE(ISH) DOCTORS REBOOT
- DOCTOR WHO Celebrates "The Day of the Doctor"
- An Adventure in Space and Time
- GLEE is "Movin' Out" to the City
- FAMILY GUYS Brings to a Close the "Life of Brian"
- TV Review: ‘The League’ – ‘Baby Geoffrey Jesus’ and ‘The 8 Defensive...
- AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN Far From "Dead"
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas
- When Series Break Genre
- Lack of Imports
- Redefining Cancellation