Chopped episode 2 "Canned Cheese, Please" recap
Written by : tvqueen published Wednesday 25th April 2012
Judges:Cris Santos, Aaron Sanchez, Amanda Freitag
Competitors: Kyle Ricks from New Orleans, of Landmarc. Danielle Saunders is a private chef who has worked for P. Diddy. She talks about her family a lot. She calls her style of cooking soul fusion.
Monica Langousky exec chef and co-owner private chef company. Her friend is a cancer survivor and she has a shaved head. Chef Billy Brigsten Bright Green point Brooklyn but hails from New Orleans in his soul.
Basket ingredients: Andouille sausage, Jalapeno peppers, canned cheese, lychees in syrup.
Billy Bright goes the way of jambalaya but worries his rice will not cook right. Danielle does a big potato dish she did years ago. Monica works an idea. Aaron worries when he makes the spice flavors out of the jalapeno. Billy’s rice is undercooked.
Monica has a potato onion hash. It is comfort food. They say her portion is too big. She cooks for 100 mammograms. She shaved her head to represent. Kyle has a red chili fromage. Freitag says the sweetness works very well. Sanchez says it is overwhelmingly salty.
Danielle serves her soup. the jalapeno taste is missing. Then Chef Billy serves his jambalaya-manque. Danielle is confident she will not go home.
But Billy is chopped because his rice is undercooked. But Aaron Sanchez cites his proper technique of cooking the peppers. Billy Brigsten says he can;t go back to New Orleans for getting chopped for undercooked rice. He says that he hopes his mother never fins out.
Basket Ingredients: Elk, Buckwheat Groats, Jews Mallow, Hard Cider
Danielle does a dry spice rub. Kyle does a risotto and uses gloves. Freitag says she enjoys watching Kyle work. He says he has butchered in many restaurants. Whole hulled buckwheat seeds are what the groats are, says host Ted Allen.
Danielle debates he slime factor of the Jews mallow. Sanchez says it is a African type of spinach. Monica cooks her elk but leaves it whole, delivering uneven cooking result. She puts herself under pressure because as she counts her technique as lives to be saved.
Monica notices he Jews Mallow is slimy and Kyle says it is viscous. Monica puts her meat back in to cook as Danielle removes her to rest. Kyle says he is good. But Kyle is throwing sauce on his plate as the clock winds down. Monica is too short of time.
Danielle says all the dishes are similar. She made a wilted Jews Mallow. Danielle says she had a pretend Chopped the night before with her family. Monica says she couldn’t get the sauce on the plate. She tells the judges in presentation she feels the weight of the world is on her.
Monica’s braised Jews Mallow is likewise served over groats. The judges like the seasoning on the groats and the meat. Amanda got a rare piece and the third piece was unevenly cooked. Monica did not get her sauce on the plate.
The judges say Danielle and Kyle plated so safely they barely seasoned at all. Sanchez like the coffee in Kyle’s dish.
Monica blurts out in front of the judges:
“I don’t want to let anyone down. I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders”.
In the kitchen she says that she would not be surprised if her dish was up for being chopped.
Chef Monica is chopped.
Basket Ingredients: Strawberry popsicles, blue corn chips, condensed milk, celery
Kyle goes for the ice cream machine. Danielle starts a bread pudding. The judges wonder if she can cook it in time. Danielle steals the milk from Kyle.
The chiffonade will work but Danielle does not know what to do with it. Kyle elevates his blue corn chips with sugar and made crunchy blue corn sugar chips. The judges are not sure she has time enough to cook the bread pudding either. Danielle watches the oven.
“When you cook with love sometimes you can eyeball it”
Kyle is happy with his ice cream and he is clueless about the celery. During presentation Danielle talks about her family again. Kyle says in voice over he has good things going on with his family, too, but that is not for TV.
The judges debate creativity over taste. They feel Danielle’s dishes taste better but Kyle showed more creativity. Danielle says she served it in a ramekin to make the pudding set. Presentation the is judged.
The judge Freitag says she thinks it is the best strawberry ice creams she has had in a long time. Chris says the candied tortilla is good but the candied celery is a wild card. Kyle gets good marks. Sanchez says her food spoke volumes.
In the back room, Danielle doesn’t give an inch when Kyle complements her. Freitag says of Kyle’s work the white wine in the celery did not work.
They give up the desserts on a tie and evaluate the earlier dishes. Creatively they lean towards Kyle but on taste they go for Danielle.
Chef Kyle is chopped. This mean Chef Danielle is the winner.
He says on exit “She tells a good story.” Danielle thanks the people who helped her et to the place she is now.
Watch Episode 2 - Canned Cheese, Please! online
About the author tvqueen
I like to watch TV shows from classic eras as well as contemporary drama and comedy. Science Fiction is fun, and shows like the Cape and Fringe keep hope alive that the medium that produced Space 1999 is alive. Comedy such as 30 Rock is usually, good, but not always. I like Survivor but it has so little to do with survivor skills I am disappointed. Appointment viewing is Grey's Anatomy, NCIS LA, The CSI series for New York and Las Vegas and Miami, with a special shout out for the new Hawaii Five O. Gordon Ramsay's Hells Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares are top of the line viewing for the drama comedy Gordon's character and the business lessons they teach.tvqueen's profile | tvqueen's RSS feed
More reviews & recaps for Chopped
- TREME Stands Up and Declares "Yes We Can"
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 12 – Survivor Rocks
- THE GOOD, er, Awesome WIFE Hits 100 Episodes
- Death Strikes DOCTOR WHO At "The Tenth Planet"
- GLEE Needs Work to Master Puppets
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 11 – The season of blindsides continues
- We "Wanted" More NIKITA, and We Got It
- COVERT AFFAIRS Fools the World
- More DOCTOR WHO Fun With THE FIVE(ISH) DOCTORS REBOOT
- DOCTOR WHO Celebrates "The Day of the Doctor"
- An Adventure in Space and Time
- GLEE is "Movin' Out" to the City
- FAMILY GUYS Brings to a Close the "Life of Brian"
- TV Review: ‘The League’ – ‘Baby Geoffrey Jesus’ and ‘The 8 Defensive...
- AMERICAN HORROR STORY: COVEN Far From "Dead"
- Mad Men episode 7 "At The Codfish Ball" recap
- Supernatural episode 20 "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" recap
- Person Of Interest episode 20 "Matsya Nyaya" recap
- Person Of Interest episode 19 "Flesh and Blood" recap
- The Mentalist episode 21 "Ruby Slippers" recap
- Chopped episode 3 "Saying Sayonara" recap
- Gossip Girl episode 21 "Despicable B" recap
- House episode 18 "Body and Soul" recap
- Mad Men episode 6 "Far Away Places" recap
- The Good Wife episode 21 "The Penalty Box" recap
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas
- When Series Break Genre
- Lack of Imports
- Redefining Cancellation