Kitchen Nightmares episode 17 "Zacalo" recap
Written by : tvqueen published Monday 23rd April 2012
Gordon comes to a Chicago restaurant called “Zocaro”. A husband and wife cook and run the restaurant. The husband met the wife working many years ago. But after owning the restaurant he has three quarters of a million dollars in debt. The wife constantly harasses him at the cook pass but works only three days a week. The husband works every day and night.
They discuss the debt incurred and how Maria, the wife threaten to go back to Mexico if Greg can’t support the family. Gordon talks to Maria about the condition of the kitchen. She says the kitchen is a place she would not work in. Greg and Mary Russell’s marriage seems to be on the brink. Gordon says they use the microwave too much. It changed the quality and texture of the food.
Gordon surveys that the food is good but the prices are high. He observes the husband and wife are on the point of acrimony all day and night in the restaurant. He works with them to develop why the lack of success with the pricing and the food so bad. The daughters tell Gordon the restaurant has changed the parents. They do not act married anymore.
Gordon talks about the business with Greg. He sets up a hidden camera to get the wife and the daughters talk about how much risk the father is holding together on is head all day. The husband Greg watches from a closed circuit room. The women do not know he is watching. They talk about how Greg stresses himself out stubbornly trying to do everything himself.
The daughters tell Gordon the don’t eat at the restaurant because it is too expensive. Greg in service refuses to delegate anything to the second line cook. Maria announces meals regardless of whether he can keep up. But then Gordon installs a new stove and put in a new point of sale service with tablets and wireless credit card equipment.
The staff is thrilled and then Gordon changes the new meals. The new dishes are simpler, cheaper and much easier to fix. They try a new service. At first Maria is very bitchy but she settles down and works well with Greg. Gordon gets two line cooks from nearby Drexel University as a apprentice program. They support Greg in his approach to fulfilling orders.
Gordon sees the restaurant improve and leaves feeling happy the Russell marriage is intact and also has the restaurant the workings of the place are back in line.
About the author tvqueen
I like to watch TV shows from classic eras as well as contemporary drama and comedy. Science Fiction is fun, and shows like the Cape and Fringe keep hope alive that the medium that produced Space 1999 is alive. Comedy such as 30 Rock is usually, good, but not always. I like Survivor but it has so little to do with survivor skills I am disappointed. Appointment viewing is Grey's Anatomy, NCIS LA, The CSI series for New York and Las Vegas and Miami, with a special shout out for the new Hawaii Five O. Gordon Ramsay's Hells Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares are top of the line viewing for the drama comedy Gordon's character and the business lessons they teach.tvqueen's profile | tvqueen's RSS feed
More reviews & recaps for Kitchen Nightmares
- Dystopian COMMUNITY
- A "Trio" of Uneven GLEE Stories
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 3: Jeremiah in the middle
- ALMOST HUMAN Almost Great
- "Brother's War" on VIKINGS
- House of Cards Season 2 Midpoint Check-in
- Leaving DOWNTON ABBEY Once More
- COMMUNITY Celebrates the "Beta Male"
- "Frenemies" Make for Drama-Filled GLEE
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 1: Why this season has already left a bad tast...
- "The Return" of DALLAS
- DVD Review: ‘Legit – The Complete First Season’
- DVD Review: ‘Mama’s Family – The Complete Third Season’
- DVD Review: ‘Family Guy – Volume Twelve’
- Fire Goes Out On BURN NOTICE
- Mad Men episode 7 "At The Codfish Ball" recap
- Supernatural episode 20 "The Girl With the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo" recap
- Person Of Interest episode 20 "Matsya Nyaya" recap
- Person Of Interest episode 19 "Flesh and Blood" recap
- The Mentalist episode 21 "Ruby Slippers" recap
- Chopped episode 3 "Saying Sayonara" recap
- Chopped episode 2 "Canned Cheese, Please" recap
- Gossip Girl episode 21 "Despicable B" recap
- House episode 18 "Body and Soul" recap
- Mad Men episode 6 "Far Away Places" recap
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- Can Lightning Strike Twice for...
- Throne Beseiged By Pirates
- Why ‘Once Upon a Time’ Is ...
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas