Survivor: One World Episode 2 – Why the women are in over their heads
Written by : SurvivorTom published Thursday 8th March 2012
Alicia opened Episode 2 by saying that if Christina was drowning, she’d, “Probably look the other way.” Well don’t look now, but it isn’t just Christina who is treading water…the entire female tribe is gasping for air.
Is there something on the horizon that will keep the women afloat? (Insert boob jokes here).
In case you missed the episode, be sure to get caught up by watching Episode 2 of Survivor: One World, and then be sure to read my weekly Survivor Examiner episode recap before continuing on to this “Bonus Analysis” coverage.
So what is it with these women? They are undeniably off to a very rough start. First the men steal from their supply pile, then they are forced to forfeit the first Immunity Challenge after Kourtney breaks her wrist, resulting in her medical evacuation from the game. They then lose the Reward Challenge, and follow up that loss with an embarrassing performance, costing them Immunity for a second time.
The good news for the girls is that there is a lot of game to play, and this is Survivor after all. Things change drastically and immediately, and there will be highs and lows no doubt. Next week looks to be a low when a horrific storm blows through Samoa. Let’s hope that Episode 3 is rock bottom for the Salani Tribe.
Individually, the women have some very strong players that could compete for the million. Chelsea, Kim, and Sabrina are the core alliance that seem to have the best chance at longevity. For Chelsea, she seems to be calling the shots as witnessed when Kim deferred her vote to Chelsea’s decision on whether to vote out Nina or Kat. Chelsea is strong and beautiful, and seems to have her wits about her…although she appears to lose it a bit in next week’s episode (let’s hope it’s not too bad of a breakdown). Sabrina seems to also be in it to win it, but she has expressed a more vocal way of playing, which could get her in trouble. Being named the tribe “leader” is probably not the best way to go either. That leaves Kim in an amazing spot, as the lesser of the attention-getters.
As for the other women? Kat showed her weaknesses tonight and we also got a glimpse of how the others perceive her. Alicia showed us in Episode 1 that she may be more of a wild card than the rest. Monica showed how strong she was in this last challenge, which will probably put her above Christina as far as the chopping block goes, but past that she seems to have an uphill battle.
All of this is for naught, mind you, if the women go into the merge severely depleted in numbers. Ironically, their long-term savior could be Colton, the woman-trapped-in-a-man’s-tribe and now the new “ringleader” of the misfit alliance. If he uses the Idol to upset the muscle men and finds himself in the majority, he could be an immediate ally of the women post-merge. But are the other misfits so stupid as to let him get that far, knowing how close he is with all of the girls?
Because of that, and regardless of his Idol, I don’t see Colton having a great shot at making the merge. Unless something major happens, the guys seem to have the upper-hand when it comes to numbers going into the merge if things continue the way they have. The biggest beneficiaries of all of this may end up being the misfits not named Colton – Tarzan, Troyzan, Jonas, and Leif.
The women can say that they’re strong, but they’ve yet to show that they are on any front. The next challenge is crucial for them. Will girl power prevail? Or do the fates favor the men?
Be sure to check back here every week for my reaction and analysis to each week’s episode, and be sure to leave your comments below.
About the author SurvivorTom
Tom Santilli is a respected journalist and member of the Detroit Film Critics Society. He writes several on-line columns, most notably as the Detroit Movie Examiner and the Survivor Examiner for Examiner.com. He also is a contributor as a Survivor-Insider to TVGeekArmy.com and writes exclusive Survivor in-depth episode analysis for TheTVKing.com. He has been featured on Rob Cesternino's "Rob Has a Podcast" and most recently landed the only exclusive Richard Hatch interview given since his latest legal trouble has surfaced. All of Tom's Survivor coverage as well as movie reviews can be found on his blog the "FilmSurvivor", at FilmSurvivor.comSurvivorTom's profile | SurvivorTom's RSS feed
- "Jeff" Supported By COMMUNITY
- HOUSE OF CARDS Season 2 Finale Review
- COUGAR TOWN "Stand" Strong
- The "New" GLEE
- GLEE Stumbles In "New Directions"
- HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Couldn't "Last Forever"
- "The Last Call" From Will on THE GOOD WIFE
- HELIX's Shadow Falls
- PSYCH's "Breakup" With Us
- BROOKLYN NINE-NINE "Charges" Into Season Finale
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 6: On the brink of a merge
- "Rides" May Be Bumpy for GIRLS
- THE GOOD WIFE Shocks With "Dramatics"
- HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Reaches "The End of the Aisle"
- No "Dungeons" for COMMUNITY
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 6: On the brink of a merge
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 5: Quite the Cliff-hanger
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 4: Great expectations
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 3: Jeremiah in the middle
- ‘Survivor: Cagayan’, Episode 1: Why this season has already left a bad tast...
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Finale Episode – And the Sole Survivor is…
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 13 – Who will be crowned Sole Survivor?
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 12 – Survivor Rocks
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 11 – The season of blindsides continues
- ‘Survivor: Blood vs Water’ Episode 10 – Friendly fire
- Meet the cast of 'Survivor: Blood vs. Water', and new twists revealed
- Breaking Bad Season 6 UK Air Date Confirmed For Netflix UK
- Jeff Probst and 'Survivor' snubbed yet again by the Primetime Emmys
- E4 confirm Skins series 7 air date
- Sky Living Supernatural Season 8 UK Air Date
- Hemlock Grove renewed for a 2nd season by Netflix
- The Walking Dead Season 3 UK Channel 5 Air Date
- LoveFilm secure UK rights for Emily Owens M.D.
- Scandal UK air date for season 2 confirmed by More4
- New Girl Season 2 E4 Air Date Confirmed
- The Mindy Project E4 Air Date Confirmed
- 'The Jeff Probst Show' has been cancelled
- The Mentalist Returns To Channel 5 With Series 5 Part 2 This February
- Doctor Who Return For Series 7 Part 2 This March
- FX's The Americans Coming to UK on ITV
- Can Lightning Strike Twice for...
- Throne Beseiged By Pirates
- Why ‘Once Upon a Time’ Is ...
- 2013 Disney Blu-ray Gift Guide
- 2013 ‘Doctor Who’ Gift Gui...
- Back to TV’s Roots
- ABC's Split Season
- How To Be a TV Reviewer
- R.I.P. Finn Hudson
- TV Neglects Independence Day
- DVD Return Policies Need a Cha...
- Fickle TV Fans
- When Good Shows Go Bad
- Will Amazon Change Television?
- Top 5 British TV dramas